30.9.10

91 hours

Still going, and getting close to 100 hours! The most surprising thing I've learned from doing this is how the symptoms don't just steadily increase over time, they come and go for a few hours at a time. Earlier today I was having to resort to cold showers and sticking pins in myself just to keep myself going, but now I feel almost completely fine. The other effects are still active, but the tiredness itself has vanished somewhere. While it feels lovely to not have to abuse myself into remaining conscious, I am quite frightened that my tired phase is going to be even worse than usual to compensate for this brief respite.

My vision has started to resemble the effect in this image, though much less intense. I keep seeing things moving around from the corner of my eyes, and seeing small flashes of light or straight lines appearing for a moment. A lot is making me jump, but there are no lasting hallucinations yet still. Im my previous 57 hour run without sleep I was at one point looking in a mirror and seeing my face as being completely different to usual, or perhaps just not recognising it. It felt incredibly strange either way, and I had a similar experience with my Dad's voice over the phone changing into something I didn't recognise, making me think I was talking to a stranger and had been mistaken when I saw his name on the screen. Nothing as interesting as that has happened yet this time, probably because of that microsleep episode a couple of days ago.

I went and bought some more milk and bread, cooked some bacon sandwiches and... and... that's all I can remember from the last day or so. Attempted some gaming, anime watching and reading but was having too hard a time concentrating to do any of them for long. One slight setback in my idea of playing Amnesia to keep myself awake is that it makes me scared to go downstairs in the dark to make more coffee...

15 comments:

  1. It feels a bit disturbing reading this. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're back, I was thinking you may have died! how much longer do you plan on staying awake for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try getting to 100 just because it's a nice number, and then seeing how I feel. If things are getting interesting, I'll keep going. And heh, I left a bigger gap between updates because I had nothing much to say except for "bloody hell I'm tired."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't push yourself! if you're planning on staying awake till the 100 mark, I hope your body can take it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, don't push yourself too hard. I was reading the wiki on sleep deprivation and apparently the longest documented time is 264 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. >seeing my face as being completely different to usual, or perhaps just not recognising it
    >Dad's voice over the phone changing into something I didn't recognise
    Is your name Fuminori Sakisaka?

    ReplyDelete
  7. >264 hours

    ...I'm at a loss for words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive. Maybe with enough training, you could go for the world record?

    Heh. That'd be downright torture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe when you're done with this you can go outside and blog about your agoraphobic symptoms

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck I managed something like this for six days when I was younger. Afterwards I didn't sleep right for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've hit 120 once. Never, never ever again. Somehow it's hard for me to even go 48 hours without sleep. Which wasn't ever a problem before. Feels like shit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shit, you're almost there now. But you shouldn't push yourself too hard. We don't want anything bad happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this blog has to be the most interesting one I've read since being on here.

    ReplyDelete