28.9.10

50 hours

Damn it! I stripped all the sheets and blankets off my bed and put them in the wash in order to remove any temptation and to reduce the chance of me folding under a moment of weakness, but my efforts were wasted anyway.

I seem to have dozed off for a few minutes in the middle of an anime episode while huddled in a ball on my computer chair. I don't know whether to consider this a complete failure and start tracking again from 0 hours or keep going regardless and try to determine how much time those few minutes have set me back by. I suppose it could be interesting to see how long it takes to get back to feeling like I was before those few minutes rest, though I'll end up feeling like I've cheated somehow. Hm. At least I learned that once I get to that stage, just sitting upright and watching anime isn't enough to keep me awake and I need to find something more engaging to keep myself busy with, some kind of game or physical activity. Physical activity is probably the more effective option, but made a lot more challenging by the complete loss of balance I was experiencing, making me sway around like a drunk and rely on walls to support myself while moving around.

Anyway, I suppose the 50 hours should be thought of as "time since experiment start" rather than "time awake" now. At least I've gained a new activity to occupy myself with: mentally kicking myself as punishment for such failure. Sorry, everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Ahhhh! Well at least you can always retry hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think of it as a failure if it was only a few minutes. R.E.M. sleep wouldn't have been anywhere near kicking in. Unless you slept through half the anime episode you should think of it as a minor intermission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't count if you just doze off. Keep going, you're doing real well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're an inspiration to insomniacs everywhere, Kaguya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I have bad news for you. Whether you like it or not, you went through episodes of microsleep and thus you have already slept. I wouldn't consider this a failure though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't consider a couple of minutes enough to end your run. Playing video games might be able to keep you awake. Possibly a horror game? At the very least you'll pay more attention to it compared to anime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it's not long enough to go into REM, it shouldn't count. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, thankyou all for the encouragement! Even though you're terrible people for convincing me to continue making myself ill, I shall forgive you. Horror game is a good idea as well, I'll try Amnesia. Being made to jump each time I saw post boxes, bins or bushes during my walk last night did a good job of making me more alert, so hopefully this'll have a similar effect.

    ReplyDelete