Couldn't relax while worrying about the list of things I have to take care of, so I decided rather than just anxiously pacing I'd go and get a haircut so at least that would be out of the way. The past few times I'd been had gone by smoothly enough, so I thought perhaps I was starting to get the hang of it, but I was apparently very much mistaken.
In
the past there had only ever been one person in the room when I arrived, and she never
tried to talk to me at all apart from asking what I wanted doing.
This time when I arrived there were three people sat around, none of
them in the customer chairs, so I stood awkwardly in the entrance
waiting for one of them to give me some kind of signal that they were working there and the person I should be talking
to, but they all just sat watching me in silence as if I were some
funny act.
One
of the men looked somewhat similar to the guy who’d cut my hair in the past, so I started to head over towards him
until he frowned and gave me a "what the fuck are you doing?"
kind of look. At this, the woman who actually was working there
realised what I was confused about and moved over to the front desk,
gesturing for me to follow. I walked over to her, nervously fishing
some money out of my pocket and stupidly holding it out to her, to
which I was met with my second "what the fuck" look in
response. Oh, right, I pay after the haircut, not before. How silly
of me. She pretended not to notice the money and asked what I was in
for.
"Uh,
I'm sorry, I.. don't have an appointment or, anything, c-could I
just.. have a.. a trim, please?"
She
said yes and stood up, asked me to take a seat and started to walk
around the desk towards me. Already exhausted by the exchange I
plopped myself down into the nearest chair and let my head hang low,
staring into my lap, not wanting to look at or meet eyes with my
reflection in the mirror. After a few moments I noticed the silence
that had filled the room and looked up to find out what the cause
was, only to receive yet another "what the fuck are you doing"
look, this time from three pairs of eyes at once. I'd sat down in the
nearest chair to me and not noticed the woman walking over to stand
behind the chair at the other end of the room and wait for me there
in silence while watching me sit there like an idiot.
My embarrassment and anxiety were reaching critical
levels. As I stood up from my wrong chair with all eyes upon me, I
was beset with the urge to simply run out of the door and back home
in shame. I looked to the doorway to plan my escape route and was
reminded that the woman was stood between me and the exit, there was
no way out other than to go around her. Defeated, I walked to her
chair, sat down and let my head fall into my hands in despair.
She suddenly realised I might be having a hard time and asked if I
was alright, to which I told her yes and apologised for being
awkward, telling her that I wasn't very good at being around other
people.
Again I was asked what I wanted doing, and I attempted to request a trim of
about an inch. It was an immense challenge trying to get my words out
in such a state of panic, and I made even more of a fool of myself
with the amount of mumbling and stuttering that came out along with
those words. Not satisfied with this amount of torture, the woman
started trying to make painful small talk, asking me if I'd just
finished work, and then asking what I did for a living. To the first
question I just said "yes" in an attempt to give the
shortest answer, where "no" would have required an
explanation. The reply for the next question was harder to think up,
and again I stumbled over my words getting it out. I think I said
something along the lines of, "Uhh, I do... online... from
home... uh, a c-course, um, over the... the inter...internet...."
gradually fading out into an extremely awkward silence.
The
quiet was broken by one of the guys behind me starting to laugh at
me, and then asking the hairdresser how she could understand what I
was saying, adding that it "sounded as if I were speaking
Klingon or something." The hairdresser started to laugh for a
moment and then tried to cover it up and tell him not to say things
like that, both of them acting as though I couldn’t hear them. I
went along and pretended not to have heard them too, it was easier
than trying to think of how to react or what to say. I don't know
what I'm supposed to do in that sort of situation. I don't think there's much I could have said to improve things. Afterwards he
carried on, talking about how there were a lot of "weirdo people" in this town and how it always surprised him how "freaky" the people here
are, obviously referring to me as he spoke. Again, the hairdresser
told him off gently while trying to stifle her laughter.
It
felt like they were flirting by using me as a conversation topic, him
expressing his manly dominance by openly making fun of me while I was
still in the room and her giggling while playfully scolding him. Oh
well, I carried on pretending to be oblivious while staring into my
lap in order to avoid eye contact and get out of there as soon as
possible without giving them any more reasons to mock me. I didn't
even get a chance to look at how my hair was until I'd gotten back
home.
I
think this event possibly ranks among my most traumatic experiences, along
with being scared into signing up to donate to the NSPCC because I
didn't know how to say "no" to a woman in the street and then running to sob on the floor in
front of my mental health worker in an elevator, and hiding in a store room during my grandparents' anniversary to cry in fear for hours by myself
until a puddle of snot and tears had formed around my feet. I
certainly won't forget it any time soon.
It's
such an embarrassment that I can't even talk to anyone about it
because of the shame. It's also frustrating because now I'm going to
have to go looking for a new place to get my hair cut, because there
is absolutely no way I'd be able to show my face in there again.
Maybe I should just start cutting it myself, I'm hideous looking
enough that a good or bad haircut wouldn't make any
difference, and nobody outside of my family sees me for more than a few seconds in their lifetime anyway.
I don't know why I typed any of this up, it's not interesting or well-written. Maybe I'm hoping to feel less embarrassed about the memory if I can discuss it and laugh it off as just another failed attempt at going outside.


I have a lot of embarrassing time too.
ReplyDeleteWhat about "whatever"...
Care less what other people think of you