7.10.10

Quitter

Yesterday I sort of quit my job, except it wasn't exactly a job and I didn't really quit.
 
As part of my phobia treatment, the people I go to try and find ways to prepare me for rejoining society. In the past we did things like taking me out of the house and teaching me strategies for coping with panic attacks and gradually exposing me to difficult situations in which I'd be around more people. As another step towards their goal they had me to do some volunteer work, thinking that it'd be a constructive step towards a real job without the worry of being relied on too much or the threat of being fired for sucking or not turning up.

Since February I've been doing 3 hours per week of unpaid volunteer work in a local charity shop. It was supposed to be 3 hours per week anyway, but it ended up being more like 3 hours every 2 or 3 weeks, depending on whether or not I managed to force myself to go in.  Going there was every bit as horrible as I'd imagined it would be before I started, except I had also expected for it to gradually get easier over time.

Before I go any further, I'll admit something shameful. The reason I was even able to show up in the first place is because my grandmother volunteered in the same place. She picked me up, took me in, worked the same hours as me and then brought me home. I used my grandmother as a shield to hide behind when things got frightening for me. Alpha as fuck.

It didn't take long for even the incompetent manager to realise my social skills were about as useful as a paper teapot, so most of the time I was hidden away from the public eye in the back of the building, steaming clothes to make them ready to be put out on the shop floor. It was easy work, just sometimes disgusting and always boring. Handling clothes that are unwashed and covered in mysterious stains and offensive smells made my obsessive handwashing habit even worse than usual.

Each week we'd have new people in, and my anxiety would be reset back to the horrible first week while I watched them get used to everyone and be happily chatting away within a couple of hours. I'd been going from February through to October and still couldn't talk to anyone at all, so seeing new people do it so easily each week just made me compare myself to them and feel even worse over time instead of getting any better.

The reason I hadn't quit yet was because I didn't want to have to go back to looking for somewhere else to work, knowing I wouldn't have my grandmother there to hide behind. I also didn't want to have to tell the people at the mental health clinic that I'd given up and have them look down at me.

What changed yesterday was that the new face to show up was one I knew. Ever since I became a recluse, one of my biggest fears has been that I could somehow end up coming face to face with someone I went to school with. What would I say if they asked how I was doing, and what I'd been up to? What if they asked how my university course was going, and where I was working now? About romance and parties and social activities and travels and all the other things I should have been doing like everyone else, when instead I was locked in my bedroom watching Chinese girl cartoons? The time had come to find out, because here in front of me for the next 3 hours was one of those loudmouthed guys from high school who would throw things at me during lunch break.

Or maybe not. He didn't seem to even recognise me. That or he thought I wasn't worth the effort to talk to. Either way, the stress of those 3 hours brought me to my limit and I left the place knowing I'd never be able to make myself go back in there again. I still have to figure out how I'm going to tell everyone, though.

The churchbells nearby were ringing out as I walked away. Maybe they were celebrating my escape, or mourning the death of any chance I had of expecting to get better. Or neither; they're just bells and don't give a damn about me. Whatever.

13 comments:

  1. Good thing that guy didn't mind you, at least.

    I don't like meeting people from my time in school, even if they just give me a glare or doesn't mind me at all. It feels bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're still around. Interacting with people in a work scenario can be really tough, worse even when expect things or depend on you. Actually it sucks when they don't expect anything much from you either.

    Best job is still home security guard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you tried, which is all that really mattered right?
    Don't let the people at the clinic get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. D:

    Where do you live?

    If you need someone to talk to I'm a good listener.

    I think you have to stop worrying what other people will think. I know it's not that easy, but you need to think about whats best for you.

    You don't need to be ashamed. We all need help sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds nerve wracking
    And seeing someone you used to know is awkward
    Not sure what would happen if I had to work...
    Hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I hope you can find some way to bounce back, because you're a treasured brohno, and what you write is always interesting and fun to read. If you were overwhelmed and had to distance yourself from the situation to recover, than that's that. The great thing about volunteer work is as you mentioned, there aren't any strings attached. The door is always there for you if you need to use it, and you did. There's no need to beat yourself up for using a tool that was at your disposal. If the people at the clinic look down on you, then shame on them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch, people from the past are a scary thing indeed. At least you didn't really lose much, the people at the clinic should be able to take this in stride. It shows you're more socially competent than some of us. I wouldn't have even be able to come as far as you did. It'll end up working out alright though, don't let it eat at you too much after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best poster has returned!

    >Ever since I became a recluse, one of my biggest fears has been that I could somehow end up coming face to face with someone I went to school with.

    That is what I fear as well. I think I'll wait a few years before even thinking of going outside. I don't want to be exposed as the failure I am by old classmates.

    I don't suffer from the panic attacks that you do, but I think that I'm more of a coward. I don't think I could handle even volunteering somewhere.

    >Best job is still home security guard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meeting people from high school is one of my fears too. Unfortunately, they always seem to recognize me. I usually lie my ass off and get depressed when I come back home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should show this blog post to your mental clinic. I would have left as well. Assimilating into the unknown is always hard no matter what it may be. Most importantly don't give up because you gave up. If that made any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you give us a run down on how you go by youre day to day life on a 24 hour basis? I really would like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. >>I think you have to stop worrying what other people will think. I know it's not that easy, but you need to think about whats best for you.

    This.

    I'm a recluse at heart, and leaving the house to go to work is realy an effort for me. I don't like most people, and I don't like being around them. It makes me flustered and upset, and I come off as unfriendly and awkward which just makes it worse; I'd rather be at home.

    A couple days ago, a girl I went to school with showed up at my job. I was very nervous, because she had been popular then and just seemed to look down on people as awkward as me, and I was really hoping that she wouldn't even notice me and I could just go hide in the back room.

    She noticed me. She walked up to me. I waited for the inevitable questioning.

    It never came. We made small talk; weather, oh-it-was-funny-running-into-you, that sort of thing. And then she left.

    My point is, I was worried about what she would think of me, and she didn't even care. Most people don't really care what you're up to, or how successful you are; they care about themselves. So just ignore them.

    Sorry about the wall of text, I just really wanted to share that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. SOMETIMES YOU MIGHT THINK YOU'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH
    BUT THAT'S JUST THE MAN TRYING TO KEEP YOU DOWN

    DON'T BE AFRAID TO BE SANGUINE, WAKE UP EVERY MORNING WITH YOUR BLOOD BOILING!

    YOU CAN DO ANYTHING IF YOU WORK FOR IT!

    I BELIEVE IN YOU BRO

    ReplyDelete